Did Satan deceive Muhammad?
Hatun and Godwin discuss Sura 16:98-9 “So when you recite the Qur’an, [first] seek refuge in Allah from Satan, the expelled [from His mercy]. Indeed, there is for him no authority over those who have believed and rely upon their Lord.”
Islamic sources give the following criteria for demonic possession:
1. Choking, gasping, spasmodic movements, delirium, and whisperings. (Life of Muhammad, Guillaume p121)
2. Spitting and blowing (knots). (Bukhari 4:54:491; 2:21:243)
3. Eloquent speech. (Dawud 41:4994; Bukhari 7:71:662; 7:62:76)
4. Bad and evil dreams. (Muwatta 52: 52.1.4; Bukhari 9:87:113; 4:54:513)
5. The use of bells. (Muslim 24:5277; 24:5279 Dawud 14:2548; 2:498; 34:4218)
Islamic sources reveal that Muhammad is susceptible to all 5.